Monday, October 13, 2008

Giants/Browns Halftime Report

The Browns lead the defending champs 17-14 going into the halftime break. The Browns didn't look like the Browns we've grown to groan about so far this season for most of the first half. They put pressure on Eli the Autistic Wonderboy and forced him to make some very circa-2006 Eli Manning-like decisions. The bright spot for the Giants for the first half was their stellar running attack. "Earth, Wind, and Fire" as they're so dubbed looked good as usual.

As an unabashed Cowboy fan (who will do his damndest to stay neutral here), I can't help but ponder what the Cowboys would've been like if they had drafted Brandon Jacobs instead of Marion Barber (Barber was taken 109th, Jacobs 110th in the 2005 Draft). I love Barber, but Jacobs is just such a freak of nature. I love watching him run.

The Browns showed flashes of their 2007 mediocre success at times in the first half. Braylon Edwards didn't drop 15 passes. Derek Anderson was accurate. Jamal Lewis looked almost as good as he did in 2004.

Just as I was getting comfortable with the idea of the Browns getting the "W" over the Giants, the Browns started to look like a 1-3 team with Romeo Crennel at the helm. I'm guessing Romeo won't be around after this season, especially if he doesn't give 2nd year professional bench warmer Brady Quinn a shot to energize their offense which is boring at best with Anderson taking the snaps. They have the offensive weapons but are without the field general to lead them to the endzone.

I'm more than convinced that the champs will rally in the second half and pummel the Browns, but I guess that's why they play the games.

Another note: the Browns should really keep the throwback helmets they're sporting tonight. Call me a tradition traitor, but screw the blank helmets. That's for college ball. I like the numbers on the side. I've always hated teams whose official logo is their entire helmet and not a singular image.

Instant Update: OK, Auti-Eli just threw another pick. I'm still unconvinced by the Browns, but we'll see.



~Daddy

No comments: