Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Roy Williams x 2

Now the Cowboys have two Roy Williams with which to disappoint their fans.

I jest, I jest. I'm much more inclined to believe that the expensive (three draft picks) trade will be worth it. I'm actually inclined to believe it'll be what gets the Cowboys over the hump and into the NFC Championship. Really. I do.

I think the 'Boys will go 2-1 between now and when Romo is supposed to be healthy again. I think Brad Johnson will be a breath of fresh air for an offense that has looked lost the past three games. It doesn't help that Felix Jones is gone for a while, but I think Marion Barber and Co. will pick up the slack. Brad Johnson should be quite pleased that he has another big, fast, imposing WR target to throw to the next three weeks.

Some have raised the question: what if Brad Johnson takes this team 3-0 while Romo is gone? Does Romo get his job back?

Yes, he does. Romo isn't Vince Young. Romo isn't Brian Griese. He's a constant 300-yard passer. He's a proven regular season winner. Quarterbacks have slumps. I don't hear people calling for Peyton Manning's replacement Sorgi -- and the Colts have a worse record than the 4-2 Cowboys. Manning didn't look like Manning. He was slumping. He looked great against the Ravens and now everything is right with the Colts. It's better that Romo sucks now than later in the season. He'll take these four weeks and turn himself into a patient, calm passer who will manage the offense and won't take risks every other pass. I believe this. He's a competitor.

I haven't appreciated his tone when asked about his erratic play, but I think this break will be good for him. Fess up to your inadequacies and be a better QB. When you return, Tony, you'll have T.O., Roy Williams II, Patrick Crayton in the slot (where he belongs), security blanket Jason Witten, and hopefully both members of the double-headed backfield monster. That's a potent, dangerous offense for every defense in the league. It's about time the Cowboys play up to their talent level.

This is an important stretch for this team. Pacman Jones' departure is almost meaningless here. I think rookie corners Mike Jenkins and Orlando Scandrick will shine while Newman is out. Miles Austin is a more than competent kickoff and punt returner to replace the delinquent Pacman and the injured Felix Jones.

And the defense! My, the defense. I think they've played exceptionally well. They saw the field quite frequently against Arizona because of the turnovers and quick drives the Cowboy offense was having. I don't think they can be blamed for wearing down at the end. I don't. I was quite impressed with the unit as a whole against a passing offense that shredded Buffalo and a few other teams this year.

The Cowboys will be alright, even in the toughest division in football. Look for T.O. to either tear the team apart or bring the team closer together. It was rather inspiring to see him chew out Andre Gurode for his lazy effort last Sunday.



~Daddy

No comments: